The department has been formed in December 1957 and called originally as Dept. of Wave Propagation and Radio Relay Systems. At present the Dept. is called as APPLIED ELECTROMAGNETIS. It was headed at first by Prof. Yosif Vilensky. Then it was headed by:
- 1965 - 1970 - D.Sheinman;
- 1970 - 1978 - V.Chernyshev;
- 1978 - 1988 - V.Petrov;
- 1988 - 1993 - B.Kapilevich;
- 1993 - 1996 - Ye.Trubekhin;
- from 1996 till now the Dept. is headed by Prof. Dr. Boris Kapilevich.
In 1976 the Research Lab. of Solid State Microwave Devices has been formed in the Department.
- B.Kapilevich - head of Dept., Prof. Dr., Senior Member of the IEEE;
- L.Andrusevich - Asst. Prof., PhD, Member of the IEEE;
- V.Belenky - Asst. Prof., PhD, Member of the IEEE;
- Т. Fedotova - Asst. Prof., PhD, Member of the IEEE;
- Yu. Samuyllo -Asst. Prof.;
- Т. Malakhova - Asst. Prof., PhD;
- N.Simakova - Sr. Lecturer;
- S.Fesenko - Sr. Lecturer;
- I.Shushlebin - Sr. Lecturer;
- O.Bezuglova - Asst. Prof;
- V.Petrov - Prof., Dr., Member of the IEEE (part-time).
There are also several PhD students and technicians working both in full or part time schedule.
The Department of Applied Electromagnetics provides courses for undergraduate and graduate studies associated with the following subjects:
- Basic Electromagnetics and Waves
- Microwave Devices and Antennas
- CAD on Microwaves
- Simulation Modeling for Electrical Engineers
- Mathematical Approaches in Research
- Wave Propagation in Mobile Communications
- Safety in Human Activity
- Electromagnetic Ecology and Compatibility
More than 500 specialists have graduated the Department since it has been formed. They are successfully working both in Russia and abroad.
The research activity is based on contracts supported by Russia Ministry of Telecommunications, local industry and international organizations. The following topics are basically subjects of research activity:
- Microwave/RF components and devices
- Antennas and propagation
- Microwave measurements
- Other related topics
During 1997-99 the Project 96-0851 dedicated Microwave Active Filters has been completed in cooperation with ESA ESTEC (The Netherlands) and IRCOM, University of Limoges (France). The details are available at www.intas.be
Both teachers and researchers working at the Department have published 7 monographs and textbooks, more than 300 articles and papers, about 50 research reports and about 40 patents.
The Department has established useful links in academic and research fields with:
- Novosibirsk State Technical University (Novosibirsk, Russia)
- University of Limoges (France)
- ESTEC European Space Agency (The Netherlands)
- University of Gävle (Sweden)
- University of Magdeburg (Germany)
- University of Applied Sciences (Germany)
- IEEE Professional Groups: MTT-S, ED-S, CPMT-S, CPM-S, and SSC-S
- Tel Aviv University